Caramelized apples with maple
- 2 apples, washed, cored and quartered
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 125 ml (½ cup) maple syrup
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 125 ml (½ cup) milk
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) sugar
- 4 large slices rustic bread
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) butter
- 4 slices Jarlsberg cheese, about a ½ cm thick
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and melt the butter. Add the apples and cook for about 5 minutes until brown. Stir in the maple syrup, bring to a boil and remove from heat. Set aside.
- In a rectangular dish, add eggs, milk and sugar, and mix well. Soak the slices of bread in the egg and milk mixture. Shake off excess.
- Heat a non-stick skillet and melt the butter. Cook slices of bread on both sides until golden brown. Divide the Jarlsberg cheese on two slices of bread and cover with the other two slices. Reduce heat and continue cooking for a few minutes while the cheese melts slightly.
- Remove from heat, slice grilled cheese in half and garnish with maple apple mixture. Serve hot.